Tuesday, February 17, 2009

New Years Resolution

One of my news years resolutions was to not buy any more books, but to re-read or read for the first time books that are on my bookshelf.

I wonder if it counts if I buy new books for my husband and then read them after him? I am busting to read Kate Grenville's latest book, The Lieutenant. Her first novel, The Secret River I loved (it was also a gift for Kirk). I read it when he wasn't. It was a a fascinating account of what life was like in early Sydney. I have studied Australian history but other than Playing Beatie Bow, I don't recall having read a novel based in early settlement times.

Kate's description of the harshness of the Australian environment, her portrayal of the Aboriginals and the early settlers made The Secret River a turn pager. I did skip some sections though, her description of the brutality of some of the early settlers made my stomach churn.

No comments: